The Melfort Campbells during their last 130 years had a most distinguished record in the civil and military services. During that period the descendants of Captain Archibald Campbell of Melfort who died in 1773 and his wife Annabel, daughter of Campbell of Barcaldine, gave for the service of their country two admirals, one captain RN, one commander RN, four generals, four colonels, two majors, six captains, and six lieutenants. Harrison Ainsley and Co. purchased the estate in 1838 as an ideal location for the manufacture of gunpowder. Not only is it secluded, but it has a deep water pier and plentiful supplies of scrub oak.
link to the Campbell History